- Born La Crosse, Wisconsin, May 21, 1958; married; 2 children.
- Graduate Aquinas High School, 1976; B.A. University of Wisconsin–La Crosse, 1980; J.D. University of Wisconsin Law School, 1986.
- Attorney. Former instructor, University of Wisconsin–La Crosse.
- Former member: Family Resource Center (board member); Family and Children’s Center (board member); Coulee Region Humane Society (board member, president).
- La Crosse County Board, 1986–present (chair, 2002–11).
- Elected to Assembly in May 2011 special election. Reelected since 2012. Leadership positions: minority caucus vice chair 2017.