- Born Madison, Wisconsin, April 27, 1950; married.
- Graduate River Valley High School; attended Madison Area Technical College and Edgewood College.
- Former Associate Director of the Foundation for Madison’s Public Schools.
- Member: National Caucus of Environmental Legislators; Honorary Life Member, Wisconsin Congress of Parents and Teachers; Midwestern Higher Education Compact Commission; Fellow, Bowhay Institute, La Follette School, University of Wisconsin–Madison; Fellow, Flemming Institute, Center for Policy Alternatives; Oakhill Correctional Institute Advisory Board; WiLL/WAND National Women’s Leadership; State Innovation Exchange; Agrace HospiceCare Patient and Family Partnership Council; Agrace HospiceCare Ethics Committee.
- Elected to Assembly since 2002.
- Additional appointments, 2017: Read to Lead Development Council; State Superintendent’s Equity in ESSA Stakeholders Council; Legislative Council Study Committee on Student Data.