Statement of Scope
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPY, PROFESSIONAL
COUNSELING, AND SOCIAL WORK EXAMINING BOARD
Clinical social work concentration
1. Finding/nature of emergency (Emergency Rule only): N/A
2. Detailed description of the objective of the proposed rule:
In order to obtain a clinical social work license, an individual must have a master’s or doctorate degree in social work. As part of that master’s or doctorate degree program, the individual completed a clinical social work concentration. The proposed rule will review and update the requirements for a program to be considered having a clinical social work concentration.
3. Description of the existing policies relevant to the rule, new policies proposed to be included in the rule, and an analysis of policy alternatives:
Currently to qualify as a clinical social work concentration the course of study includes one course in psychopathology and social work and two theory and practice courses from the following list: case management; clinical assessment and treatment of specific populations and problems; psychopharmacology; psychotherapeutic interventions; or electives such as family therapy, social work with groups or gender related issues and topics.
The Board will be reviewing qualifications for a clinical social work concentration in light of enabling there to be increased practitioner mobility to and from the state of Wisconsin.
4. Detailed explanation of statutory authority for the rule (including the statutory citation and language):
§ 15.08(5)(b) Each examining board shall promulgate rules for its own guidance and for the guidance of the trade or profession to which it pertains, and define and enforce professional conduct and unethical practices not inconsistent with the law relating to the particular trade or profession. § 457.03(1) Upon the advice of the social worker section, marriage and family therapist section, and professional counselor section, promulgate rules establishing minimum standards for educational programs that must be completed for certification or licensure under this chapter and for supervised clinical training that must be completed for licensure as a clinical social worker, marriage and family therapist, or professional counselor under this chapter and approve educational programs and supervised clinical training programs in accordance with those standards. § 457.03(3) Upon the advice of the social worker section, promulgate rules establishing levels of social work practice for individuals with master’s or doctoral degrees in social work, in addition to the levels of practice for which certificates are granted under s. 457.08 (2) and (3), and establishing appropriate educational, training, experience, examination, and continuing education requirements for certification and renewal of a certificate at each level of practice established in rules promulgated under this subsection.
5. Estimate of amount of time that state employees will spend developing the rule and of other resources necessary to develop the rule:
6. List with description of all entities that may be affected by the proposed rule:
Applicants for a clinical social worker license
7. Summary and preliminary comparison with any existing or proposed federal regulation that is intended to address the activities to be regulated by the proposed rule:
8. Anticipated economic impact of implementing the rule (note if the rule is likely to have a significant economic impact on small businesses):
None to minimal. This rule is not likely to have a significant economic impact on small businesses.
Contact Person: Sharon Henes, Administrative Rules Coordinator, (608) 261-2377