- Born Wausau, Wisconsin, June 16, 1950; married; 4 children, 3 grandchildren.
- Graduate Newman High School (Wausau); attended University of Wisconsin–Marathon County and Northcentral Technical College.
- Former ginseng, dairy, and beef farmer. Served in Army Reserve, 1968–74.
- Member: Seventh Congressional District, Marathon, Wood, Taylor, Rusk, Sawyer, Price, Lincoln, Portage, and Shawano County Republican Parties; Farm Bureau; National Rifle Association; Friends of Rib Mountain; Wausau Elks; Marathon Lions.
- Former member: Wisconsin Rifle and Pistol Association; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local #1791; Childcare Connection Board; Department of Transportation Law Enforcement Advisory Council; Marathon County Hunger Coalition.
- Recipient: American Heart Association Legislator of the Year Award 2016, 2014; End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin Legislative Leader Award 2014; Wisconsin VFW Legislator of the Year Award 2014; Wisconsin American Legion Legislator of the Year Award 2014; Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Legislator of the Year Award 2002; Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Certificate of Commendation 2005; Wisconsin Towns Association Friend of Wisconsin Towns Award 2016, 2014, 2011; Wisconsin Counties Association Outstanding Legislator Award 2014; Wisconsin Urban and Rural Transit Association Legislative Statesman of the Year 2014; Wisconsin Professional Police Association Legislator of the Year Award 2014; Wisconsin Troopers Association Legislator of the Year Award 2014, 2003; Center for Driver’s License Recovery and Employability Legislative Champion Award 2014; State Bar of Wisconsin Scales of Justice Award 2014; Wisconsin Dental Association Champion Award 2013 & Award of Honor (Mission of Mercy) 2011; Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians Friend of Family Medicine Award 2016, 2014; American Academy of Pediatrics Childhood Legislative Advocate of the Year 2005; Wisconsin Council on Physical Disabilities Appreciation Award 2014; Wisconsin Public Health Association Friend of Public Health 2016; Wisconsin Electric Cooperatives Association Enlightened Legislator of the Year Award 2013; Wisconsin Farm Bureau Friend of Agriculture Award 2006, 2004; Wisconsin Dairy Business Association Award 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008; Wisconsin Grocers Association Friend of the Grocers Award 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2006; Wisconsin Pork Association Distinguished Public Service Award 2016; WMC Working for Wisconsin Award 2016, 2014, 2012, 2002, 2000; MMAC Champion of Commerce Award 2016, 2014; Wisconsin Builders Association Friend of Housing Award 2016, 2013, 2006; Associated Builders and Contractors of Wisconsin Building Wisconsin Award 2014; State Farm Insurance Golden Car Seat Award 2007; Chiropractic Society of Wisconsin Legislator of the Year Award 2014; Allied Health Chiropractic Centers Commitment and Dedication to the Chiropractic Profession Award 2004; 3M Award of Appreciation 2001; Wisconsin Paper Council Champion of Paper Award 2007; Wisconsin Technical College System Legislator of the Year 2016; Wisconsin Technical College District Boards Association Legislator of the Year 2016; UWSP Paper Science Foundation Friends of the Foundation Award 2005; The American Conservative Union Defender of Liberty Award 2013; Wisconsin Ginseng Board Assistance to the Wisconsin Ginseng Industry Award 2005; Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association Hero Award 2014, 2012.
- Elected to Assembly 1998–2010. Elected to Senate in June 2012 special election. Reelected 2014. Leadership positions: majority caucus sergeant at arms 2003–07.
Member of Building Commission, Highway Safety, Council on, Migrant Labor Council and Transportation Projects Commission