- Born Berlin, Wisconsin, February 26, 1951; married.
- Graduate Berlin High School, 1969; B.S. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1973; Wisconsin Rural Leadership Program Group IV, 1990–92.
- Partner in farm supply dealerships.
- Member: University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics Authority (UWHCA) Board of Directors, serving on Finance, Audit, and Executive Committees; Education Commission of the States (ECS) Executive Committee; National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) Education Committee, Education Policy Work Group, International Education Study Group.
- Former member: Waushara County Fair Board (director); Family Health/La Clinica director, 1995–99.
- Berlin Area School Board, 1976–97 (president 1986–95).
- Elected to Assembly 1994–2002. Elected to Senate since 2004.
Member of Education Commission of the States, Educational Communications Board and State Capitol and Executive Residence Board