2015 WISCONSIN ACT 375
An Act to renumber and amend 448.50 (4) (b); to amend 462.04; and to create 448.56 (7) of the statutes; relating to: the authority of physical therapists to order X-rays and granting rule-making authority.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
448.50 (4) (b) of the statutes is renumbered 448.50 (4) (b) (intro.) and amended to read:
448.50 (4) (b) (intro.) "Physical therapy" does not include using any of the following:
1. Using roentgen rays or radium for any purpose, using except that "physical therapy" includes ordering X-rays to be performed by qualified persons, subject to s. 448.56 (7) (a), and using X-ray results to determine a course of care or to determine whether a referral to another health care provider is necessary.
2. Using electricity for surgical purposes, including cauterization, or prescribing.
3. Prescribing drugs or devices.
448.56 (7) of the statutes is created to read:
448.56 (7) Ordering X-rays. (a) A physical therapist may order X-rays to be performed by qualified persons only if the physical therapist satisfies one of the following qualifications, as further specified by the examining board by rule:
1. The physical therapist holds a clinical doctorate degree in physical therapy.
2. The physical therapist has completed a nationally recognized specialty certification program.
3. The physical therapist has completed a nationally recognized residency or fellowship certified by an organization recognized by the examining board.
4. The physical therapist has completed a formal X-ray ordering training program with demonstrated physician involvement.
(b) When a physical therapist orders an X-ray, the physical therapist shall communicate with the patient's primary care physician or an appropriate health care practitioner to ensure coordination of care, unless all of the following apply:
1. A radiologist has read the X-ray and not identified a significant finding.
2. The patient does not have a primary care physician.
3. The patient was not referred to the physical therapist by another health care practitioner to receive care from the physical therapist.
462.04 of the statutes is amended to read:
462.04 Prescription or order required. A person who holds a license or limited X-ray machine operator permit under this chapter may not use diagnostic X-ray equipment on humans for diagnostic purposes unless authorized to do so by prescription or order of a physician licensed under s. 448.04 (1) (a), a dentist licensed under s. 447.04 (1), a podiatrist licensed under s. 448.63, a chiropractor licensed under s. 446.02, an advanced practice nurse certified under s. 441.16 (2), or a physician assistant licensed under s. 448.04 (1) (f), or, subject to s. 448.56 (7) (a), a physical therapist licensed under s. 448.53.