2017 - 2018 LEGISLATURE
May 8, 2017 - Introduced by Representatives Spiros, Kleefisch, Horlacher,
Mursau, Skowronski, Thiesfeldt, Tusler and Weatherston, cosponsored by
Senators Petrowski, Cowles and Olsen. Referred to Committee on Natural
Resources and Sporting Heritage.
1An Act to create
167.31 (4) (j) of the statutes; relating to: authorizing hunting
2from a mechanized lift attached to a motor vehicle.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
This bill authorizes a person to hunt from a motor vehicle equipped with a
Under current law, no person may place, possess, or transport a loaded firearm,
a cocked crossbow, or a bow with a nocked arrow in or on a vehicle. Under current
law, no person may load a firearm, discharge a firearm, or shoot a bolt or an arrow
from a bow or crossbow in or from a vehicle. Under this bill, these prohibitions do
not apply to a person legally hunting from a platform elevated by a mechanized lift
attached to a motor vehicle equipped with stabilizers, subject to certain
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do
enact as follows:
167.31 (4) (j) of the statutes is created to read:
(j) Subsection (2) (b) and (c) does not apply to a person legally hunting 5
from a platform elevated by a mechanized lift attached to a motor vehicle equipped 6
with stabilizers if all of the following apply:
1. The lift, platform, and stabilizers are each commercially manufactured in 2
compliance with applicable standards of the American National Standards Institute.
2. The vehicle is parked and the motor used to drive the vehicle is not in 4
3. The stabilizers are deployed and in full contact with the ground.
4. The lift is in a raised position and the platform is stationary.
5. The person is on the platform.
(1) This act first applies to a person hunting on the effective date of this 10